a miserable heart means a miserable life, but a cheerful heart fills the day with song.
-proverbs 15.15-

Thursday, April 14, 2011

April.

Seven days of class left. Easter Break. Finals. Guatemala.

Woah.

It's getting a little scary. And I'm feeling...overwhelmed...to say the least. Side story: one time, I was at dinner with my sorority "family" and my big asked my little how she was feeling, "Overwhelmed? Underwhelmed?" To which, my little replied, "I'm just whelmed." Easily one of the most unexpected and hilarious things I've heard in a while. Anyways, things are always busy this time of year. So many tests, so many assignments, so little time. But in the midst of all of this, I'm trying to really take advantage of these last couple of weeks and enjoy them. Trying to find the balance between my social life and getting all of my schoolwork done...that is the hard part. There have been moments where I feel like I'm drowning in everything.

But, God is good and uses other people to wake me up when I start having these feelings. On Thursday at RUF (Reformed University Fellowship...an on-campus ministry), the seniors were given the chance to say whatever they desired at the large group gathering. Some shared testimonies, some shared what RUF means to them, and others shared advice. Lots of wisdom was spread throughout that room. A few of the seniors in particular cautioned us against falling into the "norm" here at school; that norm being to be constantly stressed/busy, going to the PAC (which is a wonderful thing...until it becomes a matter of "I have to because..."), and making better grades than everyone around you. One senior put it in "good enough" terms, saying that she didn't feel "good enough" until she had accomplished a certain amount of things. This is a wonderful place and I am so thankful to be here, but it changes your mindset in subtle ways, as does any environment. Thursday night challenged me to examine my heart and see where it lies. I was also challenged to look up. Yes, I have a busy week ahead of me. But I will conquer it. The Lord will lead me through and I will continue to look up at Him. He will be my mindset and my peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment